GPSF can provide funding for your academic- or community service-oriented event. We award Appropriations monthly from October to April, and we operate on a first-come-first-served basis during the summer months.
All GPSF funds, including Senate Appropriations, come from student fees. All Appropriations are processed as SAFO transfers, and your organization must recognize GPSF as an event co-sponsor and complete post-funding paperwork after the event in exchange for funding.
- Event must be organized by at least one (1) Registered Student Organization (RSO)
- You must apply for official recognition from the university every year in September; new groups can apply at any time. Applications for recognition can be accessed at https://carolinaunion.unc.edu/programs-orgs/student-acts-orgs/applying-official-university-recognition
- Current RSOs are listed at studentlife.unc.edu
- RSO must have an active account with SAFO
- Funds will only be deposited into one SAFO account, even if multiple groups organize the event
- GPSF cannot pay SAFO fees for any RSO
- Your SAFO account must be in good standing, with a certified Treasurer
- Your RSO membership must be primarily graduate and/or professional students at UNC Chapel Hill, or your event must primarily benefit graduate and professional students at UNC Chapel Hill.
- Your application must be endorsed by a current Senator; visit the Senate page for a current list
- Your RSO must have completed the post-funding requirements for previously-funded events (if applicable)
- Your event must occur after the final funding decision is reached; retroactive funding requests will not be considered.
- Events that involve or benefit many graduate and/or professional students; the more the better!
- Interdepartmental or multidisciplinary events
- Events that are vital to the organization’s mission or purpose
- Events that already have matching funding or in-kind donations
- Events that are unique, as compared to current programming available
- Requests for speaker fees and speaker travel
- All GPSF funds, including Senate Appropriations, come from student fees, and are subject to all policies and laws regarding student fees and state funds. Therefore, GPSF cannot fund items such as alcohol, tobacco, or firearms; payment to an ex-employee; or tangible gains to individuals, organizations, or third parties.
- All Senate and Summer Appropriations are subject to the GPSF Treasury Laws and Funding Guidelines.
- No social events; see Social Appropriations.
- Hotel expenses are capped at $90/night
- Gas and Mileage expenses are capped at $0.14/mile (per current IRS Standard Mileage Rates for Charitable Organizations)
- Printing expenses are capped at $0.05/page (8.5×11) for black and white; color, brochures, and posters will be considered case-by-case; printing expenses in excess of $100 must be accompanied by signed quotes / invoices from two (2) vendors
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The submission deadline is the deadline for ALL required materials, including the application form, Senator approval, and a detailed event budget.
GPSF will consider funding applications for events that feature a fundraising component; keep in mind that GPSF cannot fund tangible gains for individuals or third parties. Funding for fundraising events will most likely take the form of a loan, in which the RSO is given funds to host the event, but must repay all the appropriated funds to GPSF within three (3) months of the event. GPSF will not charge interest on the loan unless the RSO fails to repay the loan within three (3) months.
You must apply for Appropriations based on the date of your event. See the chart below for more information:
|If your event occurs…||Submit an application by…||Appropriations Committee Meeting||Final Approval by…|
|October 5 –November 1, 2016||September 16, 2016||September 20, 2016||October 4, 2016|
|November 2 – December 6, 2016||October 14, 2016||October 17-21, 2016||November 1, 2016|
|December 7, 2016 – January 17, 2017||November 18, 2016||November 21-25, 2016||December 6, 2016|
|January 18 – February 7, 2017||January 6, 2017||January 9-13, 2017||January 17, 2017|
|February 8 – March 7, 2017||January 20, 2017||January 23-27, 2017||February 7, 2017|
|March 8 – April 11, 2017||February 17, 2017||February 20-24, 2017||March 7, 2017|
|April 12 – May 8, 2017||March 24, 2017||March 27-31, 2017||April 11, 2017|
|May 9 – October 3, 2017||1 month before event||2 weeks prior to the event|
Following the application deadline, the Appropriations Committee Chair will review the applications to ensure eligibility; any applications that are incomplete or ineligible will not be reviewed by the committee. If your application is eligible for Committee review, the Chair will contact you with details of the Committee meeting; a representative from your organization must attend the Appropriations Committee meeting.
The Appropriations Committee will meet at least one week prior to the Senate meeting. If your representative is not present at the Committee meeting, your application will be dismissed. Your representative will need to be able to answer questions about the event and what is being requested of GPSF. Following the meeting, the Appropriations Committee will make their funding recommendations. The Chair will contact you following the meeting with the Committee’s recommendations.
The Appropriations Committee will present their recommendations at the Senate meeting, and the Senators will give final approval by vote; the Senate may alter or reject Committee recommendations, but these recommendations are often approved. Following the Senate meeting, you will again be contacted by the Appropriations Committee Chair, notifying you of the Senate’s decision.
Upon Senate approval, the GPSF Treasurer will submit the transfer paperwork to SAFO. RSOs who are awarded Appropriations must complete the post-funding requirements below in order to remain in good standing with GPSF and request future funds as needed.
If you are approved for Appropriations funds, you must complete the following requirements:
- Submit proof of GPSF as an event “co-sponsor” before the event; this includes any print advertisement, social media pages, and materials distributed at the event that list event sponsors or organizers.
- Submit a Post-Funding Report within three (3) months after the event, online here.
- Seek reimbursement from SAFO for all expenses. You must use the expense codes listed in your approval paperwork. Unused funds must be reverted back to GPSF.